Being in a car accident - even a simple fender-bender - is a stressful and alarming experience. You may have injuries to deal with as well as property damage, and you are uncertain about any financial consequences.
At the accident scene, it will be difficult but it's very important to stay calm. For the safety and wellbeing of yourself and others, as well as your financial welfare, we at The Francis Law Group urge you to take these actions:
- Call 911 for help as soon as possible, especially if you or others are injured or have suffered property damage. Florida law requires that you remain on the scene and get help for anyone who is injured.
- Follow all instructions from emergency personnel.
- Stay in your car if it is safe to do so.
- Evaluate your injuries and those of your passengers. Avoid moving, especially your neck and head.
- Write down information about other drivers involved such as names, contact information, drivers' insurance and license information and license plates. Share your own information with other drivers and the police.
- Answer all questions that the police ask but don't talk to anyone else about the accident! You may make a hasty statement that can be later used against you in an accident case. Don't apologize for anything.
- Obtain witness names and contact information.
- Take photos of your car and other vehicles involved in the crash as well as the roadway, signage and traffic signals.
- If you did not get emergency medical care, go to an emergency room or your doctor as soon as you can. Often symptoms don't surface until some time after an accident.
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident and any injuries.
- Get a copy of the police accident report.
- Begin a file to keep all information related to the accident like the accident report, contact information, all medical expenses and any other costs related to the accident. Keep a record of all work that you miss.
- Cooperate with both insurance companies. If you are not satisfied with the damage assessment from your insurance company, get 2 repair or replacement estimates on your own and give them to your adjuster.
Most importantly, reach out for an attorney with significant experience in personal injury law in order to be properly compensated for your injuries. Don't accept a settlement before discussing it with your attorney and don't discuss the accident with the opposing attorney or insurance company.
Let Us Help with Any Accident or Personal Injury Case
If you or a family member has been injured in a car accident or any other type of personal injury, you need an attorney with the right experience in these cases. We will work hard for you and pursue compensation for your physical and emotional injuries. Please call The Francis Law Group for a free consultation. Attorney Tony Francis, personal injury attorney in Orlando, will fight to get you the compensation that you and your family deserve. You can reach us at 407-363-9939 or contact us via the website.