Orlando Personal Injury Lawyer

The Francis Law Group

Hit and Run Accidents: 
Do You Need a Hit and Run Lawyer?

When a motorist involved in a crash leaves the accident scene before exchanging information with the other driver or filing a police report, the accident is known as a hit and run. Being involved in an accident then leaving the scene immediately after that is illegal in the state of Florida and can make recovering compensation for damages or injuries very difficult for the victim. If you’re the victim of a hit and run accident in Florida, you need the help of a hit and run lawyer to learn about recovering compensation.

Filing a Police Report is a Must

Regardless of the fact that the other driver sped off without filing a report with the police, it is essential that you file a police report on your own. Calling the police at the time of the accident is highly recommended – as soon as the police officers arrive on scene, they can help to file a police report that contains important information regarding the date, time and accident cause. What’s more, they may be able to track down the other driver – especially if you can recall information about the vehicle – or interview people who witnessed the wreck. The sooner you report the incident to the police, the likelier the chances are of the perpetrator being apprehended.

In addition to filing a report with the police, you should also report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. If you receive medical care following the accident, make sure to keep a thorough record of all expenses and doctors’ reports.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage May Help

Under Florida law, every motorist is required to carry personal injury protection and property damage liability insurance, according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. In addition to the required insurance types, a motorist may choose to purchase uninsured motorist coverage, which provides compensation in the event that the motorist is involved in an accident with a person who doesn’t have car insurance or is involved in a hit and run accident.

While uninsured motorist coverage will pay for property damages and medical expenses, Chapter 627 of the Florida Statutes states that the legal liability of an uninsured motorist coverage insurer does not include damages in a tort action for pain, suffering, mental anguish or inconvenience.

Civil Action Against the Driver is Possible

If you do not have uninsured motorist coverage, then another option may be filing a civil suit against the driver for damages. Unlike the law cited above, a civil action for damages against an at-fault driver can result in damages for pain, suffering, mental anguish and inconvenience. However, it is important to note that a driver is only allowed to step outside of the car insurance system in the event that the driver (plaintiff/victim) has sustained damages that meet Florida’s serious injury threshold. Usually, injuries that meet the threshold are those that cause permanent impairment, scarring, loss of function or disfigurement.

A Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Can Help

The aftermath of a hit and run accident can be extremely scary and confusing, especially if your injuries are severe and you don’t have uninsured motorist coverage. If you’ve been involved in an accident in Florida that was caused by a hit and run driver, you need a hit and run attorney! An attorney can help you negotiate a fair settlement amount with your insurance company and help you track down the at-fault driver to file a claim for damages in civil court. The attorneys at The Francis Law Group can help you to determine which route for compensation is most suited to your case.

The sooner that you take legal action, the better your chances are of being compensated. To get in touch with our team today and schedule your free case consultation, call our offices now at 888-327-2745 or contact us online.