Who Is Liable in a Slip and Fall Injury?

"Slip and fall" is a common phrase and instantly invokes a mental image of a person falling after stepping on a slippery surface. The area of law that covers slip or trip and fall accidents is called premises liability.

Slip and fall is a general term used when someone accidentally falls on someone else's property and can include: 

  • Tripping on torn carpeting or on uneven flooring
  • Falling because of poor lighting
  • Slipping on spilled liquids or wet surfaces
  • Falling on a narrow or damaged stairway or one without adequate handrails
  • Falling outside on ice or snow
  • Tripping outside in a pothole or a cracked or broken sidewalk

Who Is Responsible for Injuries in a Slip and Fall Accident?

Is the property owner responsible for an injury in a slip and fall accident on his property? 

Perhaps. A property owner or occupant can't always immediately clear up slippery floors of take care of tripping obstacles, and an individual has an obligation to watch while walking and try not to fall. So it may be difficult to determine who is at fault if someone is injured in a fall.

To be legally responsible for any injuries experienced in a slip or trip and fall: 

  • The property owner (or an employee) must have caused the hazardous condition, or
  • The property owner (or an employee) must have known of the danger but did not correct it, or
  • The property owner (or the employee) should have known about the hazard because a "reasonable" person would have discovered and corrected it.

Property owners of course must take care in maintaining their property.  It's often very difficult to determine when the property owner is legally responsible for slip or trip and fall injuries. Often the case will hinge on whether the owner acted "reasonably" to keep the property safe and clean on a regular basis.

A Slip and Fall Injury Can Be Costly for the Injured Person and His Family

If you are injured in a slip or trip and fall accident, you are looking at much more than medical bills. Your injuries may be severe and can require extensive hospital stays and rehabilitation. You may be out of work for a period of time and therefore suffer lost wages.

Your family will suffer too as you are no longer earning wages and can't help with chores around the house and other family responsibilities.

The Francis Law Group encourages you to reach out to us if you or a family member has been injured in a slip or trip and fall accident. We will work on your behalf and help you get fair compensation for your injuries.

Let Us Help with Your Premises Liability Accident

If you or a family member has been injured in a slip and fall accident or a premises liability accident or any other type of personal injury, you may be able to get compensation for your injuries. Please call us for a free consultation. Attorney Tony Francis, personal injury attorney at The Francis Law Group in Orlando, will fight to get you the compensation that you and your family deserve. You can reach us at 407-363-9939 or contact us via the website.